OVERVIEW: This trip will operate every other June to several national parks of the American west. The National Park System in the United States has been called America’s greatest idea, protecting unique lands and ecosystems for the public to experience and enjoy. Living in Vermont and in the LTS community, our student body is already connected to the environment and should have the opportunity to visit and explore our nation’s diverse lands. With this past two trips being a huge success we are starting the planning stage for the summer of 2019 trip to the American Southwest and Sierra Nevada region of California. The following is an outline of information on the proposed trip.
WHEN: Approximately June 10 – June 30. 20 total days.
ACTIVITIES: sightseeing, hiking, night hiking, stargazing, biking, whitewater rafting, ropes and adventure courses, rock climbing and repelling, team building exercises, boating and tubing, swimming, camping culinary arts, games, and campfires.
WHO: Current 7th-11th grade students. Students must be enrolled at LTS for the 2019-2020 academic year as of June 2019 OR a LTS class of 2019 graduate in order to attend.
TRANSPORTATION: We would fly to a large hub airport (see below). Upon arrival we would rent an RV and two vans. (An advanced team or person may need to go a day prior to the arrival of the group for logistical purposes).
WHERE: A rotation of future trips on two year intervals would look like this:
- JUNE 2019: NPX SOUTHWEST X SIERRA – Embarkation point Salt Lake City, Utah: Lake Powell NRA> Grand Canyon NP > Bryce Canyon NP > Zion NP > Arches NP > Las Vegas, NV > Death Valley NP > Yosemite NP > Lake Tahoe, CAL and NV > Park City, Utah
- JUNE 2021: MOUNTAIN WEST BY PACIFIC NORTHWEST – Embarkation point Seattle, WA: Jackson / Grand Teton / Yellowstone NP, WY-> Glacier NP -> ”Little Bavaria” Leavenworth, WA -> Olympic NP -> Mount Rainier NP -> -> Mt St Helens NM, Columbia River Gorge / Mt Hood, Oregon Coast / Oregon Caves NM -> Redwoods NP
FOOD: Breakfast: cereal, bagels, fruit, egg sandwiches. Lunch: sandwiches. Dinners: cookout /BBQ, pizza, sit down family style dinners. Lots of snacks.
CHAPERONES: Tim Smith, Jody Sanderson, Julia Callo (Alum), Luke Krauss (Alum)
Other chaperones may be added as needed based on student interest.
NUMBERS OF PARTICIPANTS: The trip will be limited to a max of 28 students.
COST: Approximately $2,600.
- This covers everything with the exception of spending money and baggage fees at the airport.
- Included fees: air and ground transportation, gas, mileage, food, accommodations, park entry fees and activities.
- We will stay campgrounds that have showers and other amenities such as pools, laundry facilities and general stores. We may also rent housing compounds, lodges and hotel rooms.
Deposits will follow the timeline below. Your deposit holds your spot on a first come, first serve basis. There are lots of logistics involved and reservations need to be made far in advance for a trip of this magnitude. That is why we are asking for a deposit so early.
- January 3, 2018 (or right now!) – non-refundable deposit of $250 to hold spot
- March 1, 2018 – $ 500
- June 1, 2018 – $500
- September 1, 2018- $500
- January 1, 2019 – $500
- May 1, 2019 – balance
OTHER: There will be some specialty items that may need to be purchased or borrowed for the trip. A few examples are recreational outdoor clothing, headlamp, sleeping bag, water bottle / camel pack, or such. If you need more info, please feel free to contact Tim Smith via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone call at (802)999-3428.
- Hiking shoe
- Closed toe water shoe
- One pair sneakers
- Flip flops/ shower footwear
- 8-10 pairs of socks (try to avoid cotton)
- 4-6 comfortable t-shirts (wicking material, minimal cotton)
- 2 warm fleece, sweatshirt, light jacket or athletic warm up. Can be a light rain shell/jacket
- 3-4 hiking shorts ( quick dry, UV)
- 1-2 comfortable pant ( wind, athletic, sweat)
- 6-8 underwear ( wicking, minimal cotton)
- A few hats (wicking material )
- Appropriate swimwear (boys no speedos, girls no less back coverage bottoms)
- Wicking towel (quick drying)
- Personal small hiking cool towel
- Toiletry bag and personal supplies
- Small pillow
- Compact camp chair
- Sun Screen / Bug repellent
- Compact sleeping bag and bottom sheet for bed
- Headlamp and/or lightweight camp light
- Camelback backpack
- Insulated canteen
- Travel games: cards, and such
- Good Attitude
- NPX 2019 trip Deposit Slip
- NPX 2019 trip Information
- NPX 2019 trip packing list
- January 2018 Update Letter