Home / Health and Wellness


If a student becomes ill or injured while at school, s/he must go to a Director of Student Life or, during athletics, a coach. S/he may not leave campus without an adult’s knowledge and permission. Appropriate over-the-counter medications may be given, based on permission given by a parent or guardian at the start of the school year. A parent or guardian will be contacted if it is necessary for a student to go home.

General Medication Policy
Your child may require some type of medication while at school. This may be a medication taken only for a few days, or one taken every day. Therefore, it is essential that parents follow these guidelines:

  • Students shall not bring any over-the-counter or prescribed medications to school without the consent of a Director of Student Life. Those medications will be held by a Director of Student Life and dispensed accordingly.
  • All prescription medications must be submitted to a Director of Student Life in the original pharmacy-prepared containers, labeled by a United States licensed pharmacist. The label must provide the name of the student, name of the medication, dosage, frequency, healthcare provider’s name and date of the original prescription.
  • School policy prohibits students from self-administering any medication, prescription or over-the-counter.
  • Students who require asthma inhalers, diabetic medications, or an Epi-Pen should carry these medications with them at all times. All medications must be properly labeled with the student’s name.
  • A Director of Student Life or a designee may dispense over-the-counter medications, as needed, in accordance with standard package dosing instructions.

Medical Records and Health Insurance
All students are required to have health insurance coverage. All medical information is maintained by the Directors of Student Life and is separate from other School records.

In general, all information in a student’s medical file is confidential. However, there may be times when the School must release information from the student’s medical file in order to facilitate proper medical care. We may also need to call medical providers to discuss the student’s care. It may also be necessary to discuss confidential information about the health and well-being of a student with appropriate adult members of the community.

Health Forms
Health information is completed online through TADS as part of the annual enrollment process. A hard copy of the student’s immunization record is required yearly. Parents are expected to accurately complete all information. It is expected that the School will be notified in writing of any changes that arise during the year.

Long Trail does not employ a behavioral health professional or on-site counselor. A Director of Student Life may discuss options for counselling with parents/students.

Translate »